A blog to help electrical engineers and students to learn electrical engineering topics. Basic Electrical Engineering, Power Systems, Electrical Machines, tec.. Now special course on MATLAB for Beginners.

Class

Class

Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Ohm's Law


Ohm's law applies to electric conduction through conductors and may be stated as follows:-


‘The ratio of potential difference (V) between any two points on a conductor to the current (I) flowing between them, is constant, provided the temperature of the conductor does not change.’


In other words V/I = constant

or V /I = R

Where R is the resistance of the conductor between the two points considered



Put in another way, it simply means that provided R is kept constant, current is directly proportional to potential difference across the ends of the conductor. For a constant value of R, if the value of V is increased, the value of I increases; if V is decreased, then I decreases.  Also notice that if V is constant and R is increased, I decreases.  Similarly, if V is constant and R is decreased, I increases.


Figure show the current voltage relationship for R=10 ohm.

Material that obeys Ohm's Law is called 'ohmic' or 'linear'  because the potential difference across it varies linearly with the current. However this linear relationship between V and I does not apply to all non-metallic conductors.

submit to reddit

0 comments:

Post a Comment